For: Systems Engineer Contractor
IR35: Outside IR35
Duration: 3 Month
Spectrum IT's Hampshire based client are looking to recruit a Systems Engineer Contractor to join the team as the 3rd line support to review and design existing systems and infrastructure. The role includes identifying and advocating solutions for continuous improvement and stability. The role involves working in a fast-paced environment to produce and maintain detailed technical documentation and implement infrastructure systems and products, for both customer and internal use. In this role the contractor would be responsible for the support of critical physical and virtual server infrastructure and participating in out of office hours planned maintenance work.
Architecture & Design
- Stay current with industry technologies, evaluate existing systems and infrastructure, identify and advocate solutions for continuous improvement.
- Work with the Infrastructure Lead to help define infrastructure system requirements
- Review the design and architecture of existing systems and services to improve functionality, scalability, security and resilience.
- Manage small sized infrastructure project initiatives
- Produce and maintain detailed technical documentation.
- Deployment and implementation of infrastructure systems and products, for both customer and internal use.
Systems Management / Maintenance
- Maintain existing infrastructure solutions. Perform routine administration, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Support the Infrastructure Lead to evaluate complex systems' production readiness and supportability
- Performance analysis, tuning and hardware upgrades.
- Provide local and Data Centre inventory and asset management.
- Responsible for the support of critical physical and virtual server infrastructure.
- Responsible for backup and recovery services
- Responsible for all alerting and monitoring systems
- Provide escalation level support for the helpdesk team.
- Be available to provide out of hours support for core systems when required
- Participate in out of office hours planned maintenance work.
Skills & Experience:
An IT Systems Engineer with at least 3 years' experience, the successful candidate will have excellent skills, typically from previous roles in 3rd line support, including in-depth, hands-on familiarity with:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012-2019
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft System Centre Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Citrix (Virtual Apps, NetScaler)
Core networking - routing, VLANs, switching, firewalls, load-balancers
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, and have well balanced systems design, implementation, and troubleshooting skills. A self-starter with the ability to rapidly learn and familiarise themselves with a complex environment is essential.
"Nice to haves":
- Microsoft Hyper-V clusters
- SonicWALL firewall appliances
- Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct
- Veeam Backup & Replication
- PowerShell Scripting
- Industry best-practices (such as RBAC, least-privilege access etc.)
At least one Microsoft Certified Professional accreditation
CompTIA Security+ or equivalent
Full UK driving license
The position will involve remote working, with some occasional travel to data centres and customer sites.
Compiled by : Freya Chemoun
Compiled on : 15/06/22