Contract Developer Experience Engineer / Site Reliability Engineer
3 Month Contract
Azure; JMeter; Ansible; Terraform; C#; asp.net; Web APIs; Continuous-Integration
Spectrum IT's Southampton Client are seeking an experienced Contract Engineer to join their DevEx/SRE team for a three month contract. In this role you will assist with a project rolling out replacement infrastructure (now under IaC) and load testing using JMeter in anticipation of their busy January business period.
Candidates for this role will have a strong interest in cloud computing and collaboration for our small and growing Developer Experience and System Reliability teams.
Under the role of Developer Experience Engineer (Dev/Ex), you will be responsible for creating, maintaining and improving the tools and automated systems that the client's IT teams rely on. This is inline with he current process of migrating the Azure infrastructure to a full IaC (Infrastructure as Code) solution based around Ansible and Terraform. IaC is being integrated as an integral part of our CI/CD pipeline.
As part of a team that supports the Azure infrastructure and CI/CD tools; you will have a crucial role ensuring the stability and performance by gathering, analysing and acting on the metric data collected. Communication and collaboration with other teams is essential, the ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills and be comfortable communicating with developers and stakeholders alike.
A key area for this role will involve promoting a DevOps culture in the department by working with colleagues as part of the DevOps Chapter. From this you will be improving the Azure estate by recognising potential improvements to functionality and security.
In regards to SRE, you will have responsibilities of a System Reliability Engineer. You will be using monitoring and logging platforms for alerting and to provide insight into any potential issues. When issues arise you will be responsible for triaging and assigning them to the appropriate team. To further increase stability and performance you will be defining and operating our load testing strategy.
Skill / Experience Required:
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of Azure IaaS + FaaS + PaaS (VM's, Azure Functions, App Services, Redis, etc).
- Knowledge of Cloud networking and security.
- Experience writing and deploying IaC using Ansible or Terraform.
- Experience in setting up and configuration of CI/CD pipeline products such as Azure Devops, TeamCity and Octopus.
- Strong scripting skills. Preferably Powershell and/or Bash.
- Knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Industry experience using logging and application performance monitoring tools such as New Relic.
- Exposure to load testing practises and capacity planning.
- Communication skills for managing and escalating issues to 3rd parties.
An understanding of high availability and disaster recovery strategies would be beneficial, as would a familiarity with Atlassian products, C# and .Net Core.
Please note candidates for this role must be based in the UK and available to start work within 1 week due to client project needs. For more information and to submit your interest please apply with an updated CV.