Engineering Project Manager
My client is an award-winning global provider of commercial vehicle propulsion solutions and they are currently seeking an Engineering Project Manager to join their award-winning team.
You will be responsible for planning, launching and managing various projects of differing sizes.
You will play a key role in driving the success of these projects and will operate with a high degree of autonomy. You have relevant experience of managing projects in an engineering environment, ideally automotive, and a technical understanding/appreciation of electrified powertrain systems.
The role presents an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to have a real impact on cutting edge EV technology projects as well as the way the business conducts and manages its projects.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Creation of project definitions - working with project sponsors and key stakeholders to agree the goals and scope of new projects
- Planning of projects based on business priorities, engineering teams, supply chain and production teams feedback and resource constraints, alongside your own judgement based on previous experience
- Responsibility for execution and communication of the plan to stakeholders within the business.
- Capturing and managing risks and issues on projects, ensuring timely mitigation/resolution
- Defining project communication requirements (meeting cadences etc.) and owning the implementation of these.
- Tracking costs and managing these to a defined budget.
- Scope management throughout a project's life, ensuring change is effectively managed.
- Ensure the quality of the deliverables are in line with project definition and expectations.
- Continuous improvement of how projects are managed and playing an active role in defining the best way to deliver efficiently
Skills and Experience
- Degree in engineering, science, business, management or similar
- Candidates will be judged on an individual basis, but a typical applicant would possess;
- 3+ years' experience managing projects of a similar nature to the role with a technical understanding of the products being developed
- Knowledge of common project management theory and techniques - e.g. Prince 2, Agile/Scrum
- Experience in product development projects or programs and understanding of how to plan these types of projects
- Very strong communication skills at all levels of the business across email, large meetings, conference calls and one to one
- Proactive and takes initiative - spots potential problems and tackles them early, thinks of ways to do things better and takes action to make the business more efficient
- Driven and persistent - you have a real desire to deliver and aim to find a way forward that doesn't compromise on the plan
- Able to work at a macro and micro level, never losing sight of the project purpose while being able to dig into the detail to facilitate issue resolution when required
- Excellent problem-solving skills, able to think on your feet and a desire to take ownership and see work through to a conclusion
- Skilled with MS suite, particularly Excel
- Good data analysis skills (ideally within excel)
- Some technical understanding of EV drivetrains, ideally including batteries
- Experience operating in a start-up or similar environment with little existing framework and figuring out the best way to get things done that focusses on value and limits red-tape
- Experience working in a technical role (as an engineer or similar) on electrified powertrain projects
- Experience in the Automotive/Commercial Vehicle industry, ideally in a project management capacity
- Familiar with MS Project or other similar project management software