A Junior Network Engineer is required to join a growing and highly progressive company from their office based in central Southampton.
My client specialise in providing networking solutions to various customers based around the Hampshire area. You will be responsible for designing solutions to their constantly expanding requirements. This will involve networking in both a data centre environment and peering/transit agreements
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Provide support to end users and business partners of voice, data and hosting services. Work with the engineering team supporting core network infrastructure and internal systems.
- Support existing and provisioning of new systems and network infrastructure.
- Understand business goals, and design systems and solutions to meet them.
- Continually review, update and compose detailed design documentation and architectural documentation.
- Build resilience, security and scalability into their networking infrastructure.
- Proactively research technologies, hardware and software of relevance.
- Management of numerous Linux and Windows based systems.
- Evaluate and interpret core monitoring platforms. Examine trends in statistics to mitigate failures and plan for expansion.
Experience & Qualifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of popular routing and switching protocols; VLANS, STP/RSTP, ISIS, OSPF and BGP, MPLS and L2/L3 VPNs, PPP, L2TP, IPSEC.
- Experience with Cisco IOS. JunOS is desirable but not required.
- Experience with VoIP, SIP and RTP troubleshooting.
- Experience working with non-technical business people, including capturing communications requirements and time-scales.
- Experience managing Linux servers scripting and automation skills are desirable.
- Experience researching and selecting products for technical requirements.
- Vendor certifications like CCNP desirable or equivalent experience.
Skills & Attributes
- A professional approach to all aspects of daily operations, particularly customer facing operations.
- The ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications.
- Flexible attitude and ability to meet deadlines under pressure, always remaining calm in a support environment.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a company that would be able to offer further career opportunities, training and industry recognised certifications to the right individual.