Purpose of the Job
To assist the Desktop Systems Business Unit in the drafting and creating designs for machines / modules in its product range. The post holder will be responsible for working with other members of the team in order to develop concepts and turn them into competitive production solutions. The post holder will provide support to the team by identifying and working on issues, creating / updating documentation / drawings, and building / testing prototypes to evaluate designs for functionality, robustness, ease of use, ease of manufacture and ease of assembly.
This role will include, but not be limited to:
- Use of CAD software to for development of ideas from initial concepts to production level designs
- Prototyping / research and development involving testing, evaluating, modifying and retesting.
- Analysis and interpretation of test data.
- Work with quality to ensure product has no defects or abnormalities.
- Materials and component selection.
- Use of engineering knowledge and theory to find resolutions to engineering problems.
- Production of engineering drawings for use in manufacture.
- Establish testing procedures, investigatory studies and engineering design calculations
- Follow processes and procedures for managing design documentation and change control.
- Gather and prepare data for reports and studies
- Work with engineers to identify areas of the design that need to be altered or improved
- To support the behaviour of working as a team, sharing best practice and collaborating with colleagues outside of own sphere of business.
- To ensure full participation in the performance development process and maintain an up to date record of all training and development activities/programs.
- To always act and behave in a way compliant with all company guidelines and policies, especially those relating to values and behaviours, environmental health and safety, ethics and codes of conduct, as it is through living our values that we strengthen the culture of our business.
Qualifications and Experience
Degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline preferred.
Capable of producing drawings and sketches including CAD software.
Knowledge of Solid Works would be beneficial
Principle Competency Requirements
- Takes personal responsibility for resolving issues when highlighted by internal and external customers.
- Continually seeks and capitalises on opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Ability to manage customer expectations in a professional and collaborative manner.
Communicating & Influencing
- Excellent verbal and written communication required when interfacing with others and preparing written documentation.
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language.
- Skilled at developing relationships, both within peer group and externally
Uses lessons learned process to continuously improve processes and procedures.
Continually seeks to add value and ensures effectiveness and efficiencies in all activities.
- Self-motivated and directed with the ability to effectively prioritise and escalate tasks in an ever-changing environment and continue to maintain the required level of quality.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Tenacious with strong influencing skills to work cross-functionally.
- Is well organised and able to solve the majority of problems in his or her sphere of work.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail.
- Must be able to quickly and accurately investigate and resolve any issues found.
- Self-motivated and cohesive individual able to work in a dynamic team on high profile projects delivering value added solutions in line with agreed customer requirements.