£30k - £45k
We're looking for someone to join our Chichester team and create wonderful websites for both new and existing clients in ecommerce, hospitality and beyond.
Founded by developers you won't find anyone pressuring you to "just make it work" because we know that's not how you write great code or do good work. They care about how our sites are built as much as how they look.
We don't expect you to know everything already, but here are some of the skills we hope you have or are nearly there with:
- You have a track record of getting things done and can show us some work you're proud of.
- You feel at home in modern object-oriented PHP using PHP 5.6 or 7 and how to apply those principles to solve complex problems.
- You're familiar with MySQL (or another SQL flavour) and how to write complex queries and design a sensible database schema.
- You're enthusiastic about new web technologies and love learning about how and when to use them (and when not to).
- You have a solid understanding of Composer and how to manage your PHP dependencies.
- You have experience with at least one of the big PHP frameworks.
- Working with git (and GitHub) is second nature to you by now.
- Talking to clients is something you are comfortable with. We don't have a typical project management layer, so good communication skills are important.
There are some other areas that would be a real bonus and help push someone up that "dependent upon experience" scale:
- Unit testing is second nature to you and, ideally, you also have some experience with automated testing and continuous integration.
- Your front-end skills are strong. You know your way around jQuery and use CSS pre-processors (we like SASS) and front-end build tools (we like Gulp.js) in your workflow.
- Alternatively, you can bring some sysadmin skills to the table. We use Debian and Puppet and are always on the lookout for careful experienced heads to help us manage our infrastructure.
- You're familiar with what affects web performance and how to measure it.
- You have used Zend Framework 1 in the past and understand its strengths and shortfalls.
- You're up to date with and enthusiastic about PHP standards, familiar with the PHP-FIG and corresponding PSRs.
- You have experience with the wider stack. For us that means NGINX, Redis, MariaDB, AMQP.
- Experience with ElasticSearch. We're using this more and more.
- You've worked on ecommerce and can show us some examples of where you've worked on the scary end of actually taking people's money.
- Integrating with APIs is an area where you have a lot of experience and have learnt a few of the lessons. This could be for payment gateways, booking engines, ERP solutions etc.
- You've been exposed to Cloud technologies - in particular Amazon Web Services.
- We are pretty flexible about start and end times.
- We provide everyone with a MacBook Pro, breakfastand an employee perks
- We also organise weekly team luncheshere in Chichester and monthly gatherings when our sister office in London come to visit.
- You also get access to dental care, a pension, a cycle to workscheme and a Treehouse account for improving your skills.
Ordinarily our team members all work from one of our two office but due to Covid-19 we are currently working remotely. The above-mentioned lunches and meetups are still going ahead, albeit virtually. Depending on timing, the successful candidate for this role may be onboarded remotely and work from home initially, though the current expectation is that they will start working from one of our offices when conditions and government guidance allow for a safe return.