Optical Fibre Splicing Development Engineer required by a high-tech start up company in Southampton.
Using your optical fibre specialist experience, together with a strong appreciation of the physics involved, you will be working within the product design team to undertake the development and transfer into manufacture of optimised processes based on the custom design of our products. These include cleaving by mechanical or laser based processes, mode field adaption using physical fibre tapering or thermal diffusion methods and fusion splicing using arc discharge, filament or laser based methods.
The work environment will be characterised by frequent contacts and interactions with design, process and qualification functions together with manufacturing operations and product management to capture both internal and customer requirements.
- Develop and implement fibre processing methods to optimise fusion splicing for special optical fibres.
- Contribute to the development and application of measurement systems and methods to enable optical and mechanical characterisation of fibre splices and carry out systematic process optimisation.
- Transfer process technology from early stage development to a system ready for installation and use in a manufacturing environment.
- Develop and manage documentation in support of splicing system deployments including machine specifications, operating procedures, and drawing packages
- Train engineering and operations functions and key customers on the use and maintenance of fibre splicing
The successful candidate is likely to hold a BSc or higher in Optical Science / Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics and will have proven work experience in fibre splicing and/or processes for fibre component fabrication and integration in a manufacturing environment.
- Practical knowledge of established optical fibre fusion splicing, cleaving and tapering technologies.
- Practical knowledge of test equipment and methods used to characterise optical fibre splice performance.
- Capability to arrange and analyse data to identify trends and correlations.
- Software design in LabVIEW, C/C++ & Python languages.
- Capability to design and integrate computer based systems for process monitoring/control.
- Technical management of projects including schedule, financial and resource planning.
If you are seeking a role of this nature please contact IanTaylor@SpectrumIT.co.uk or call 02380 765806.